Ito....... It's been some time since I actually wrote something, but I think I can finally put my adventures on screen. The hardest part is figuring out how. I'm thinking "timeline."
May 20th - Yay! A plane trip to Pennsylvania, trying to find people you've never met before, and the whole auto-biography of a driver. Traveling is so much fun. I don't know why I was so scared. And finally meeting the girls I'm going to spend two months with was super. They made me laugh so hard! Dinner was chicken enchiladas (dessert was brownies and ice cream). Testimonies were shared. I think that was one of my favorite moments, when I got to here the testimonies of the other twelve short-termers. Hearing them all together, it was like that moment when you look at the picture and realize "wait, there's a pattern here."
May 21st. - Welcome to Christar headquarters! Meeting all these nice people will be a long process, but it starts today. We got to HQ at 8:3o for devotions. Nine hours later
we left for dinner with one of the missionary couples. Food! It was so good. Potato au gratin, bratwurst, grilled chicken, green bean casserole..... and dessert, of course. But what really fills you up is the conversation. Someday I'll have to share their "God is three-in-one" demo with you. I wish I could read the story of their lives in full, for the glimpses we got of it were awe inspiring.
May 22nd - Lessons. Lessons. Lessons. We get a break for lunch though, to go to an Indian restaurant. Our coordinator tells the waitresses to take the silverware back to the kitchens, we're eating with our hands today! And not just bread either (though the bread was delicious), rice, meat in thick sauces, and mango chutney. All are eaten with the fingers of the right hand.
Let me add that, though I've seemed to single out our food experiences, the classes were just as fun as the meals. Today there was one on hinduism, and an especially funny one were a missionary put on a skit with the help of a unsuspecting short-termer. But food is easier to describe, and there was less of it when compared to the vast stores of knowledge we were constantly surrounded with. Every time we got together to eat there was always an extra helping of wholesome conversation. So when I say we went to another missionaries house don't groan (even when I say that they had the best stuffed shells ever).
As a side note, volleyball is really fun, even when you're less coordinated than a one legged monkey devoid of any depth perception.
May 23rd - Can you believe this is the last day? It feels so sad to be leaving everybody, when we've become so close. Since some of us are going to closed countries we know that contact will be nonexistent until next summer. But still, we all vow to try to stay connected. I don't think I've ever gotten so close with people in such a short time. I'll really
miss them. Stay safe blazers, God bless you.
Sorry, but I can't let good food pass, even the memory of it. And dinner was at Oregon Dairies. I got to sample some real Pennsylvania Dutch food, from ham balls to chicken pot pie (which was really more of a chicken noodle stew). Naturally, dessert was ice cream. The sizes ran from heifer to bull, but I was too full to get anything bigger than a calf.
May 24th. - Home at last! I spent the day with my sister, watching anime and packing for the 'morrow. Because, you know, that's when I'm going to Las Vegas. But that's another story.
No comments:
Post a Comment