Sunday, October 26, 2008

All a board!

[EDITED TO ADD: This post was actually written on Sunday, Oct. 26th. Sorry for the time lag!]




First stop: Hikari (光) 





We first arrived at this station on a cold, rainy night back in June. It was dark and miserable. We'd been to half a dozen stations already, and lugged our suitcases (we short-termers each had a big huge bag, a not-so-cute small bag, and various carry ons) up and down nearly a thousand steps. We'd been traveling forever it seemed, and we weren't interested in looking around at our surroundings, not when they could only be wet and dark. 
Since that night I'm glad to say my veiw of the Hikari eki has only improved. In fact, 
I rather think of it as my home station. I've ridden up to Iwakuni, and down to Tokiwa, but each time I started in Hikari. Of course, now I live in Ube and  I can no longer walk to the Hikari station, but I still get to see it at least once a week.
 The Hikari eki has a rainbow theme, in fact it's covered walkway is painted on the inside to look like a rainbow. Unfortunately, it seems to have been painted a long time ago, and is now rather dingy looking, with rust covering a good deal of the once bright colors.        


 Thursday I went shopping because I was completely out of food, including rice. I'm really helpless when it come to shopping. Really. And when every thing is marked in Japanese, well, it can be a disaster. I come home thinking "what ever will I make with this hodgepodge?" But I rather think I succeed this time inbuying useful ingredients. Planning ahead what I wanted to make helped a lot, and so did asking a nice lady what kind of rice I should buy. After shopping I was too spent to cook, so I ate some leftovers, I think (it seems so long ago), and put the groceries away for later.  Later meant Friday, when I made lemon chicken, and yesterday, when I made chicken hamburgers*. Actually, for dinner I ate them as chicken dumplings and udon (I live on udon. おいしい!). The unused burgers were put in the freeze Wednesday's lunch (I heated them in the pan with some honey, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar). 



(One of my Favorite Things: Harvested Rice Hung to Dry)



*Who would have thought? They actually had already ground chicken, so I didn't have to tax my poor smoothie maker. 

2 comments:

  1. Ground chicken? o.O Also, "what kind of rice you should buy"? Does it really matter what kind of rice you use in what dish? I'm curious because I've always wondered what is the point of having so many different kinds of rice. They all seem to come out pretty-much the same to me!

    Anywayz, I'm posting because the first part of your post to draw my attention was the picture with the trees and boats, you know? And as I looked at it for a few seconds, I slowly realized I could understand the kanji. I haven't studied any Japanese in several months (over a year?), I forgot how much fun kanji is! It must be great all the kanji you're learning to recognize easily there :D

    Cheers,
    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really help us feel like we are right there with you! I am sure your cooking is yummy. Your photos are gorgeous you ought to submit some to a magazine or something. Maybe a travel book. Love

    ReplyDelete