Monday, November 24, 2008

Fast-forward twenty days......

Here, in quick succession, are four 'minor' stations. The word minor here means I have never used them, don't plan on ever using them, and often forget they exist. I had to look up their names in my handy train sheet, it looks like we've got Shinnan-yo, Fukugawa, Heta, and Tonomi.  Oh, one lsat thing, I've taken your guys' reassurances about train photos to heart.......





In many ways these two weeks have felt like a long train ride. I can no longer see where I came from, and I can't see my final station either. And all the time fun and interesting things are just outside my window.  
Hmm, was it last Friday? No, it was two Fridays ago when I found myself inside one of my students' houses being dressed in a beautiful kimono. The process was so involved, so detailed, so much of an art, that, though it was tiring to stand there for an hour keeping my chin up, I would gladly do it again. I guess that's how a princess feels. 


But to business, you want to know about the kimono. Well, first you put on the kimono under wear ( a shirt and skirt that look much like a basic kimono). Before you move on it is essential to tie towels around your waist to improve your figure. I am not kidding. You want your shape to be a column, perfect and straight. This may mean taping a towel down the small
 of your back..... or it could be that I just have an unusually twisted spine. When you're finally all taped up you put on the under-kimono. The under-kimono is silk, and will be seen slightly, especially the sleeves. The one I got to wear was pink and sported a flying crane design. Cranes, by the way, are often used on special occasions. They're the symbol of long life, them along with the sea turtle. After you put on the under-kimono you can finally put on the actual-kimono kimono. Lot's of ties will be used here, the most notable being the obi, or giant belt-sash-thing. The obi can be tied in all manner of complicated designs, some of which 
can only be worn by certain people.  The most important thing to remember is that it is hard to maneuver cloth into a pretty looking knot. Actually, to be honest, that's the second most important thing.  The first thing is, when someone asks if it's too tight, never say yes. The results could be breath taking. 
So, that's kimono basics. The kimono you see pictured here is thirty-eight years old and was worn at one of my students' hatachi, or coming of age day  (when all of the year's twenty year olds dress up and parade the streets). Usually when a women gets married she cuts her sleeves, since only unmarried girls wear them long, but not this time. Lucky me, I love the renaissance-y feeling of long flowing sleeves.


3 comments:

  1. Oh that's sooooo beautiful!! I hope you are bringing home lots more photos! love. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're ALIVE!!! still alive. heh heh. I love your beatiful kimono. I remember reading a long thing on how to put it on and how to wear it. It has so many steps, I don't see how people can stand to put them on. But it was very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazingly gorgeous. You must be really enjoying the royal treatment ^___-

    ReplyDelete