Friday, November 7, 2008

Tokuyama Station:



(The most un-interesting picture of a train station possible)

I wanted to get a picture of the chestnut vendor, but I couldn't without leaving the train. We taught English classes to a wonderful group of women at the Shunan church this summer, and we were always picked up at Tokuyama. Ah, those ladies were wonders. Once they brought yukatas and matcha* and we all dressed up and had tea. It was so much fun. And every week, right by the boarding platform, there was this chestnut shop, selling cute little bags with pictures of small glossy nuts. We had to pass it twice, once coming and once going, but we never bought a bag. Not even one to split. Just a few weeks ago, on Prayer Day, I finally did get a chance to taste a chestnut. It was fine, but not something I'd buy in a cute little  bag for five dollars. I guess I'm more of a "goober pea" kind of gal after all. What a shame, for they're so decidedly less elegant than chestnuts. 
Speaking of yukatas (well, I mentioned them anyway), I'm going obi shopping friday (yikes! That's tomorrow!) with my Thursday morning class. I want to get an obi to match the kimono that was given to me in Hikari. My students are always thinking of new things to do (like obi shopping, or eating lunch at the chic bagel shop near the church), and I usually end up on some kind of outing every week. Most of the time there're planned, but last Thursday one of the ladies invited me to a ikebana class. 







Somehow, it's the most beautiful thing. I was really surprised how into it you can get. How easy it is to get into it, I mean. Unfortunately I'm a little lacking in the art genes and I'm not sure if I quiet "get" flower arranging, but I found my kengaku (trial class.. I think)
very interesting. Here is what going to ikebana class is like: you bring your flowers into the room and the sensei hands you a vase and a prickly pad that resembles an ancient microchip.  You then arrange the flowers according to very specific forms and styles until you think its done. Only then does the sensei come and help you, and this is how she helps: She reaches her hand out and plucks, pushes, and places to her heart's content until your work is only barely discernable. If you are a good student you will then get out your sketch book and put down a rough drawing of what the arrangement looks like, not so much to study as to help you recreate it later because, here's the catch, you have to take it  all down. Yes. Every singles flower is pulled out of position and rolled back up in newspaper to be taken home and put in the student's own vase with the students own microchip-y thing. So when you look at these pictures don't blame the sensei.  She wasn't here to help me make it all over again.  
One last thing before I post this, I wanted to let you guys know that I'm planning on sending my next prayer letter out on Friday so if you don't find a pretty little letter in your inbox Saturday morning please email me and complain (unless you're not on my list, in which case, if you want to be put on it, please leave an insistent comment).


(Playing With Focus and Pumpkin-like Kaki)



*Matcha is really traditional green tea powder. The stuff you whisk until it's foamy (It also happens to be the stuff that makes some foreigners think of pond scum.  But I say, "hey, looks and odor aren't everything").  

3 comments:

  1. I don't think that picture is uninteresting. It's beautiful. Just look at it, look at the background. The air ducts and pipes and whatever else those things are, all lit by sun light coming through an unseen window. Revealing the size of the station. You can imagine people walking under them, walking over they're shadows. Hundreds of people waiting for the loud trains rushing by. Carrying them to far away places that you don't know about. And the edge of the roof in the lower right corner. Maybe a stand where one can buy tickets, brochures, news papers and perhaps a cute little bag of glossy glossy, overly advertised chestnuts. And the sign, it glows with a beauty unbecoming a simple train station sign. The fascinating symbols, the bright blue stripe across the bottom with a little bit of a shine on it. Maybe some people looking up at it and realizing they have gotten out four stops too early and now must wait for another train, they rummage around in their pockets to find the diffcult-to-navigate schedule and perhaps some loose change for a bag of delicious looking, but a little dissapointing chestnuts. It is truly a work of art.

    wow, that was a really long comment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not think I'd be very good at Japanese flower arranging. If she had come and completely re-done MY work, I think I would have completely flipped out ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, demoralizing to rearrange your work like that, but maybe she just didn't know how to explain it to you, knowing you probably wouldn't understand her Japanese?

    I thought your arrangement was lovely, after all.

    Oh, and the train station sign- hardly the most uninteresting- its in JAPANESE! ^_^

    ReplyDelete